Monday, January 3, 2011

Monday

Today was a horrible workout. Well, I did horribly. The workout was supposed to be 8x600 at mile goal pace with 2:00 rest. It didn't work out that way. To begin, Brennan and I warmed up with 15 minutes to Babson. Then we started our workout. Brennan and I decided our mile goal pace would be 5:24 because we wanted to beat qualifying by 30 seconds. Also because we wanted to run that at the end of last year, and that didn't happen, so we're gonna try again! She started the pacing, and started a tad slow (in 44) so we hit a 2:06. That means we probably went 44,42,40, because I know we sped up a lot. Unfortunately, she had to take my watch to pace us, so I'm not totally sure of the splits. Then we had 2 minutes rest, and I paced the next one. I ran a 2:03, again, a tad slow because 600 pace for a 5:24 is a 2:01. This was a tad disappointing. THEN the next one was a 2:11. Chisum had us take our pulses after that one, and mine was 44 (?) although I'm not sure what that really meant because I don't know how many seconds that was in. Brennan's was 48, and he determined she was sick and had to stop. SO then my next one was a 2:18. AHHHHHHH! Chisum had me take a 4 minute break after that one. The next was 2:18 again. I'm not sure why I was failing so much. I went out in a 20 second 400 both times. As soon as I hit that 400 I felt my legs knocked back a tick or something. And I would keep pushing but I just kept getting slower and slower. I don't understand why though...And I didn't want to just sprint the ends because I knew that wasn't the pace I was going at and I needed to work on pacing (not that I could have printed much faster than I was already going). Anyways, I took a 3 minute break after that, and then ran a 2:20. AWFUL! For the last few times, my legs felt like they were burning up, like they do in races, except I wasn't racing. And I felt like I was pushing like when I'm racing, except I wasn't. After 6, Chisum told me to stop. I was also very disappointed by this because I didn't even finish the workout. I think that is the first time I have not finished a workout for him (that I can recall) and it feels awful. I felt like a failure, and couldn't understand how I fell 20 seconds off pace! I'm still stressing out about it, even though I talked with Chisum afterwards. He said the workout was too fast, especially if we were still in strength phase, and that we should have done them slower? But I still feel like I should have been able to keep it up. I'm just really mad at myself now, and a bit depressed. I know how much every workout helps, and to do so badly in one like that scares me. If I can't run repeat 600's at goal mile pace, how am I ever going to reach my goal mile pace? I feel slow as a snail right now, and not very strong either. I hope I'm not coming down with something, but then again I almost hope I do because it would give me a reason for why I couldn't keep up in the workout. It also might be that I lost weight over vacation; I have a gluten intolerance and I had some gluten over break because usually it doesn't affect me that much, but this time I guess it did and I lost a couple pounds. This probably is not so good... But I still don't think I'm sick at all because my heartrate this morning was 12/13 again. It hasn't gone up at all. AGHHH! This is stressing me out. And if I have to do circuits tomorrow, I don't know how I'm going to motivate myself. I'm really bad at the self-motivation thing....

also - I cooled down for 23 minutes. That, plus 21 minutes on the track plus 15 warm up is 59 minutes total.

2 comments:

  1. ur still fuming over ur "terrible" workout? Cmon, things get better, just give your body time to get faster...rarely can you cut alot of time in a few weeks. Cheer up and look at things with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt you will be successful in the mile. 5:24 is within your grasp!

    ReplyDelete